Tourism is more of a going concern on the central part of the Flacq coast than along the Grand Port coast, which is relatively untouched by major developments. There are few hotels between Ile aux Cerfs and Ponte dEsny, south of Mahebourg.
The Bambous Mountains dominate views inland from Grand Port Bay, where the land ascends steeply from the coastline; further north, rising behind the cane fields, they are a more distant feature of the otherwise flat landscape.
The Grand Port area has had a long history starting with the first landing of the Dutch in 1598 and the colonization of the island during the 17th century. The Dutch headquarters wre abondoned when they left the island, and were taken over by the French in 1722 before they moved the capital to Port Louis a few years later.
A government run ferry links Grand Riviere Sud-Est and the hamlet of Deux Freres. The river ends in a striking gorge where young boys will dive into the water from a height of 30m for a few rupees. Further up the river are several pretty waterfalls, accessible mainly by foot.